The Timeshare Consumer Association (TCA) was founded in 1997 by Mr. Alexander (Sandy) Grey to help make timeshare owning an enjoyable and value-for-money form of holidaying.
Sandy Grey was a maverick in the industry expending copious amounts of time assisting people with timeshare problems. Without his assistance and knowledge many timeshare consumers would have suffered at the hands of some very unscrupulous people. Sandy’s empathy was limitless in this field and with little help from others he developed links to reform what was in his mind, a very corrupt industry. In saying this, he was also aware (after much investigation) that there were many companies and brokers who shared in his beliefs and together, and after forging relationships with them, the TCA flourished.
On the 29th of April 2013, Sandy died of Motor Neurone Disease. As a result of his sudden death much of his work and many of the research files could not be recovered. In January 2014, after consultation with some of Sandy’s trusted apostles, The Timeshare Consumer Association (TCA) was reborn with the blessing of his family and friends. No doubt, we have a big task ahead of us to try and fulfil Sandy’s aspirations. As all the access codes and files were lost a vast amount of his work and records will have to be rebuilt in the coming months. That said we have done much work and research to recover some of those important findings so as to action advice.
In line with Sandy’s founding principals this association will not be sponsored by the timeshare industry and will not court or knowingly receive donations to promote their services. At all times the recommendations to consumers will be reviewed so as to protect the independence of the advice given and to the sole benefit of consumers.
To achieve our objectives the TCA will:
- Provide help and assistance including specialist advice to consumers and their legal advisors, to enable consumers to avoid pitfalls and to resolve timeshare problems. This service is provided, free of charge and the telephone is manned Mon – Fri 10:00 – 17:00 (1-2 lunch) by our dedicated volunteers.
- Provide active support for owners and owners clubs to realise the full benefits of their timeshare ownership.
- Provide a central resource of consumer oriented information on timeshare matters for the media and other consumer organisations – including the encouragement of a positive public attitude to responsible, honest, timeshare operators.
- Publicly expose anti-consumer practices and organisations which operate in a manner detrimental to timeshare buyers and owners.
- Lobby UK and European Governments and regulatory bodies for improved protection for consumers in the timeshare environment.
- Promote and co-ordinate group compensation claims on behalf of consumers.
- Collect information on frauds etc. for action by enforcement authorities.
The TCA is:
- Independent of commercial influences and financial support.
- Manned by persons whose sole duties are to consumers.
- Recognised and respected by a broad range of authorities.
- Solely financed by revenues and donations from consumers.
Whilst the new TCA is UK based, it provides services across the whole of Europe and to English speaking residents further a field.
TCA has established links with similar consumer organisations throughout Europe to strengthen the impact of it’s work.
For free information and consumer assistance register with Timeshare Talk
Last modified: November 18, 2016